Keep up to date with what's going on at Abbey House Vets.

Happy Easter


With Easter round the corner, we need to be extra vigilant ensuring all chocolate items are kept away from our furry friends. It’s surprising how many dog and cat owners are unaware that chocolate is toxic.

 

Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine, a chemical which is very toxic to pets!

Most chocolate varies with the amount of theobromine it contains, but even in small doses it can cause a serious problem.

 

If any chocolate has been ingested here are some things your vet will need to know to aid treatment;

What kind of chocolate? White, dark or milk chocolate. Chocolate bar name?

What breed is your dog/cat

What weight is your dog/cat

Do you still have the wrapper

How long has it been since it was consumed

What symptoms is your dog/cat showing

 

Speedy treatment can be the difference between life and death.

 

If your pet consumes chocolate, you must contact the surgery as soon as possible.


« Back to Latest News